The Family Independence Fund (FIF) and the Children and Youth with Special Needs Fund (CYSN) both have a two-stage application process. The first stage, Letter of Inquiry (LOI), consists of an informal proposal to determine basic suitability and eligibility; the second stage is a full application.
The following are the steps in the application process for both funds:
- Applicant submits Letter of Inquiry (LOI) and a letter of support from an appropriate professional (i.e. doctor, therapist, social worker)
- Giving in Action reviews LOI
- Applicants whose LOI fits within broad guidelines will be invited to submit a full application (2-3 weeks after Giving in Action receives LOI)
- Applicant submits completed grant application within:
- 3 months for vehicle requests,
- 6 months for renovation requests, and
- 6 months if request is for a vehicle and renovation.
- Giving in Action staff assess application and ascertain if further information is required
- Advisory Committee reviews and recommends funding or decline of application
- Applicant is notified of final decision
Expected time-frame for decision after receipt of full application is 10-14 weeks (this may vary depending if information is missing). There are NO application deadlines, as grants are reviewed on a monthly basis. PLEASE NOTE: The Family Independence Fund and the Children and Youth with Special Needs Fund will not fund projects or purchases that have already occurred.
Stage One: Letter of Inquiry
After you have reviewed the funding guidelines, please complete the Letter of Inquiry for the fund that you are applying to. You will also be required to submit a letter of support from an appropriate professional at this stage.
Stage Two: Grant Application
If your Letter of Inquiry fits within the funding guidelines you will be sent a grant application form with specific instructions for completion.
You have 6 months to submit your application for renovation requests, and 3 months to submit your application for vehicle requests.
If the request is for both a vehicle and renovation, submit oneapplication within 6 months.
Depending on the request, you may be asked to provide:
- Proof of Identification
- Recommendations and/or documentation from an appropriate professional (i.e. doctor, therapist, social worker)
- Quotes from builders, contractors and/or suppliers
- Financial information
- Confirmation of ownership/lease/rental (vehicle, home)
- Confirmation that applications to other funders (e.g. Variety, President’s Choice) have been submitted
The Advisory Committee will then consider your application, taking staff assessment and recommendation into account.
A final decision will be made and you will receive written notification of the Committee’s decision, along with the terms and conditions of any grant that has been awarded. If approved, grants must be activated within 6 months of the approval date.
Please note: Submitted materials become the property of Giving in Action. Final decisions on all grants rest with the Giving in Action Society and access to its decisions is restricted.
After a Grant Has Been Awarded Grant recipients will:
- Obtain approval from program staff prior to incurring any expenses which were not included in original plan or application.
- Ensure proper fiscal management by submitting only valid invoices. No payments will be made to grant recipients.
- Complete a final project report.
Please note: Site visits may be requested by Giving in Action for some projects.
If you have any questions about the Application Process, contact Lynn D’Arcy, Program Coordinator, at 604-683-3157 (Ext. 4) or by email.