Family in Depen Dence Fund

Who can apply to the Family Independence Fund?

Families throughout B.C. who have a child or adult relative with a developmental disability may apply.  Individuals with the disability must reside in their family home, (or family-supported home).

For the purposes of establishing eligibility, developmental disability is defined as follows:

  • Low IQ
  • Manifests before the age of 18
  • Concurrent with impaired adaptive functioning

Families receiving support from other government-funded programs will need to demonstrate in the application that the grant from Family Independence Fund will complement versus duplicate that support.

Caregivers and foster parents are not eligible to apply to the Family Independence Fund as the intent is to provide support for families caring for family members, in family homes.  Although foster parents provide a “family” environment, the government is ultimately responsible for children in care.